An SSL connection is a coded connection between the server and visitor. An SSL connection can easily be recognized by the URL (https://domain.uk). In addition, a good browser also indicates that the line is secure by means of a tiny lock before the URL or a green bar.
The data-flow between the server and visitor can easy be read with so-called network sniffers. In a large company, where everyone is using the same network, you can obtain tons of data with a sniffer, which will provide you with confidential information. Passwords can easily be retrieved this way for instance. To counter this huge (!) security risk, it is better to use an SSL connection. Through SSL, this data is encrypted, meaning that sniffers have no use for it, unless they know how to crack the security. The use of SSL is mandatory for webshops and other websites where confidential data is transferred in many countries.
What do I need for SSL.
You must request an SSL certificate. These SSL certificates are issued by various companies. In fact: You can even issue your own SSL certificate! However, the latter is not the best option, since no web browser will recognize the certificate. Examples of accepted issuers include: GeoTrust, Comodo en AlphaSSL.
- Security: Strength of the algorithm;
- Functionality: GSM support, inclusion of corporate details, sub domains;
- Warranty: Expensive certificates often offer higher reimbursements in case of cracked certificates.
For a simple webshop, a cheap certificate is often enough, but for a bank, an expensive certificate is highly recommended. If you are in doubt about your situation, please contacto ur helpdesk.
How do I install a SSL certificate?
1. Login to DirectAdmin
2. For resellers, go to User Level
3. Click SSL Certificates
4. Choose "Create A Certificate Request"
5. Populate all fields and choose Key Size 4096
6. Click Save at the bottom
7. Head back to SSL Certificates (Step 3)
8. Copy the long code from 'Past a pre-generated certificate and key"
9. Forward the code to the certificate issuer
10. Once you have received the certificate from the issuer, place it behind the long code in the box and click Save.
Please note: it may take several minutes for the certificate to be activated. Frequently refresh the page!